During pregnancy your body is changing every day, with the growing baby. As you progress throughout your pregnancy your centre of gravity changes and this puts a lot of physical stress on your back, neck, abdominal muscles and shoulders. There is also the production of relaxin, a hormone which loosens the ligaments in your pelvis and makes it less stable, changing your posture and pulling your pelvis forward. Added to the extra weight you are carrying, this can result in lower back aches and sore hip joints.
Pregnancy massage can be enjoyed throughout the pregnancy and postnatally and I adapt the sessions to what you might want and need on the day. The aim is to relax tense muscles, ease sore spots, improve circulation and mobility, and generally make you feel good. Benefits of pregnancy massage are both physical and emotional and include:
- Relieve muscular aches and pains
- Help with mobility and flexibility
- Aids with good sleep and insomnia
- Improve circulation, relieving cramps and muscle spasms
- Reduce oedema especially in the feet, ankles and hands
- Boost energy levels
- Relieve headaches and nasal congestion, helping you to breathe easier
- Supporting your body and baby for birth
- Constipation relief
- Release lower back pain
- Promotes relaxation, so reducing anxiety/fear
- Helps you to connect to your growing baby and focus on your birth and motherhood
During the massage I could include:
- Posture awareness and exercises to promote good posture & help with flexibility
- Massage, either on the couch or on a pregnancy ball
- Energy Work to help with the flow of energy & to connect with your growing baby
- Lymphatic drainage for easing water retention
- Mobilisation techniques to aid mobility and flexibility
- Rebozo work for mobility and relaxation
- Visualisations to connect with your growing baby & to prepare for the birth.
- I will determine which parts of your body need most attention and plan the treatment accordingly. Pregnancy massage is given with you lying on your side.
Regular massage during your pregnancy can help you adjust to the dramatic changes your body is going through as you prepare for childbirth. It is a deeply relaxing and nurturing treatment, so please get in touch if you would like to book an appointment.
After the birth, post-natal massage can provide a wonderful opportunity to allow the woman time for self-nurture. Massage can be given as soon after birth as wanted and after carrying your baby for 9 months and going through the labour experience, your body will have experienced many changes. Massage can help with many of the aches and pains you may be still experiencing, as your body takes time to adjust.
You may also be developing new aches and pains from handling your baby, specifically neck, shoulders, upper back and arms. This is also a time for some pampering, relaxing and the space to re-connect with yourself. If you can come on your own, even better for you, to be able to relax fully. If not, your baby is very welcome and the massage can be done easily with your baby laying next to you.